What is the reason behind some websites emerging above the others and some not? Trying to get your business website a higher listing/ranking than the others on a particular search engine, say Google? The easiest way to do that would be to implement either search engine optimization (SEO) or pay per click (PPC). SEO and PPC are both methods for marketing your business through search engines by listing the website above its existing competitors or showing higher search results for it. This can be done either manually or via paid advertisements. Since there are a lot of small-scale businesses slowly budding around the world trying to get recognized, these methods will definitely help in standing out from the rest and lessen the competition. Obviously it either involves a time consuming procedure or a money concerning method but both are effective. Basically both these methods make sure that search engines show your online content at the top of the results when a certain keyword is searched. Before we find out which one is better, it is necessary to know what each method provides.
Search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO stands for search engine optimization which is a powerful method in increasing the quality and quantity of the traffic to your website with the help of organic search engine results. SEO is the method used when a user wants organic ranking of his website thus making it free of cost. Most of the small budget start-ups depend on SEOs because of their free of cost factor to level their competition. But with the free of cost factor comes the time consuming factor as well. It takes about 6-8 months to organically rank a website higher than the others.
Pay per click (PPC)
PPC stands for Pay per click also known as cost per click is another instant optimization method used in driving traffic to websites through advertisements. In order to enable this, the advertiser pays a publisher when the ad is clicked thus generating traffic. Thus implying it is not free. Their duration period is contract based. Once this has been effectively started, the website will appear on the top of search engines even above the organic ranking for each click on the ad.
SEO v PPC: Pros and Cons
One may choose either of these to optimize his/her website. But the question is which one? In order to realize this, the major pros and cons of both SEO and PPC are listed below. Based on this, a logical decision can be made.
- SEO is free of cost while PPC is cost effective.
- SEO works by optimizing organic search results while PPC works by instantiating it by every click on the paid ad.
- To implement SEO thoroughly is a time consuming process as it takes up to 6-8 months while PPC works instantly.
- The duration period of PPC based optimization is shorter and dependent on the contract with the advertisers while SEO lasts for an indefinitely long period.
- When using PPC, the ranking/listing comes even above the organic rankings generated by SEO.
- SEO is a bit more complex to work with while PPC is not.
- SEO uses a list of potential keywords while PPC uses matching keywords of ads while optimization.